Friday, September 20, 2013

Five on Friday

I'm trying a little something new today and joining this "5 on Friday" link-up.  
Click the logo below and join me!


Grab button for FIVE ON FRIDAY AT THE GOOD LIFE BLOG

1.  Florida

A few weekends ago, James and I hitched a ride with my parents to visit my Gram and Mim in Florida.  It was a short weekend (we weren't able to leave until Friday morning and had to be back at work on Tuesday), but it was very nice.  I love looking at the beach...but I much prefer spending my time by the pool.  Never a long enough trip, but it was so nice to see my family and get some time to relax.




2.  Dark & Stormy

I love the Lilly print "Dark and Stormy," but I never knew it was a cocktail!  There was one on the menu at the resort bar in Florida, so I gave it a try.  Rum cocktails are usually my favorite and I am a huge fan of ginger and lime, so this was a no-brainer for me.  It was fantastic!  Definitely something I'd like to try making at home.  Simple and delicious.






3.  Smocking

I have been really interested in smocking for several years.  My mom did a little bit of smocking for my sister and I when we were babies and I think I would love it.  The pleating equipment is fairly expensive (my mom got rid of hers years ago), but I am picky about fabrics so I'm not sure I would want to buy premade dresses to smock.  Have any of you tried it?  Any recommendations?  Any great sources for pre-pleated items that you've found?




4.  My Old Room

My mom has been in the process of redoing my old bedroom at their house.  (I lived there 7th grade through graduation).  It's a terrible cell phone photo, but isn't the room beautiful?  She isn't happy with the wall color, but I think it is perfect with the blue and white (and I love how it matches the monogram on the pillow and scalloped trim of the sheets).  My favorite part is the little oil painting (above the nightstand) that my dad bought.





5.  Scotch Naturals "The Southern Charmer"

I am kind of a nail polish junkie.  I love the bright, fun colors but I tend to stick to nudes because of my job.  I also don't usually have time to re-do polish during the week if it chips, so this makes it less noticeable.   So of course when I saw a snippet in an issue of Southern Living several months ago about this special collaboration they had done with Scotch Naturals for the perfect southern polish color, I snapped it up!  I love the way it looks in this photo, but I'm not sure I'm totally sold on it yet.  I know Scotch Naturals formulas are healthy and eco-friendly, but that (to me) came at the cost of a smooth formula.  The color was a little more apricot than pink, which isn't exactly what I was looking for, either.  I'll give it another shot in a few months and hope that I like the color better with my fall wardrobe than with my spring/summer one.



2 comments:

  1. Never heard of Scotch Naturals nail polish, but I'm going to check Amazon and Ebay for it because I'm all for ecofriendly and all natural products, especially if they go on my body!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely! My nails are brittle anyway, so I try to be really careful about not being too hard on them. If you haven't checked out Butter London polishes, they're a great option, too!

      Delete