Sunday, June 30, 2013

Marlsgate Plantation Tour

You might remember that for my birthday several weeks ago, my mom and I visited Marlsgate Plantation in Scott, Arkansas.  At that time, we didn't even know the plantation gave tours.  But only a few days later, my aunt from Memphis called and said that she was going to be touring Marlsgate with her Sunday school class and asked if we would like to join them!  So I took a half day at work and met my aunt and her group, my Nana, great aunt, Mom, and sister at the plantation.  The owner, David, gave the tour himself which made it really fun.  He was a hoot, too!  I would definitely recommend taking the tour if you ever get the chance.  Lots of history and tons of great stories!


I loved the grand staircase right in the front entry.  David made a comment about re-using the drapes if things ever went south on the plantation...It's hard to tell, but they're a fabulous dark green velvet with gold fringe, a la Scarlett O'Hara. :)


Not a great photo here, but look at the fantastic ceilings!  Lots of Jacob Petit in every room.


 A view from inside the front doors.  I'm a sucker for beveled glass...and columns...and that gorgeous view of the river.



These swords were in the Jefferson Davis room.  David's great-grandfather wrote in his journal about Civil War skirmishes that occurred right outside the main home.  He also said there's a story that some Union soldiers roasted a pig in the fireplace!


 Side table in the master bedroom.  I loved all of the artwork in the home, especially this painting and all of the oil paintings of family members (those were difficult to photograph) that were in every room.  That is something I would really, really love to have.


After the home tour, we ate lunch.  The dining table was absolutely beautiful (look at that silver plateau!) and can you tell that David was previously a florist? 


All of the food was delicious, but of course I was particularly fond of the coconut cake.


 After lunch, we toured the gardens.  The side garden was designed by P. Allen Smith.


Biggest fern I've ever seen!


And a formal garden...


And precious greenhouse!

(Hello, Meredith!--That's my sister taking a look inside.)

This smaller home was behind the main house and is where David's mother lives.  I love that fountain.  David said that in the spring, they had over 1,000 red tulips surrounding it!



Marlsgate was incredibly beautiful, but David definitely made the tour what it was!  I'll leave you with one of my favorite comments from him that day:

"I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but it's still a b---- to live in The South.  We can fly to the moon but we can't kill a mosquito!?"
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment