Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Touring P. Allen Smith's Moss Mountain Farm

A few weekends ago, my mom, aunt, Nana, and I toured P. Allen Smith's Moss Mountain Farm just outside of Little Rock.  We started the day with a quick introduction from Allen before making our way to the gift shop for browsing and book signing.




I've been a huge fan of Allen's for a while now and I'm always recording his shows and stalking his Instagram, so it was a thrill to meet him!


Then, back to the main home for the indoor part of the tour.  The home was built to look old, but is actually only a few years old.  The bricks were made in wooden molds and given a limestone wash that ages beautifully.



 It's hard to see in this photo, but the porch ceiling was haint blue.  I loved the unexpected color of these traditional chairs, too--more coral than they appear in this photo.

We started the home tour in the living room.  That large painting on the right wall was my favorite piece--and Allen painted it!  I had no idea that he was an artist, but he had lots of his art (including the two fruit drawings on the back wall) around the farm.  I'm still trying to find the perfect place in my house for some of his art that was for sale in the gift shop.

Here's a (somewhat) better view:

I am crazy about these sides table, too.  (Its match was on the other end of the couch).

And look at this hidden china cabinet!



On to the kitchen.


I love the large island and the brightness and cleanliness of it.


And the den off the kitchen...


And the "slumber party room" on the attic level.


This space must be so much fun for his nieces and nephews.



I love that bright green couch with aqua piping...and I have a wing chair waiting to be recovered! :)


Back down to the middle level and this beautiful purple bedroom.  I wish my photos were better, because these walls were the most gorgeous pale lavender!  (I wonder if Allen painted that piece above the bed??)


This basketweave tile in this bathroom is beautiful.  


And on to my very favorite place...the sleeping porch.  It even has a copper tub!  And check out that view of the Arkansas River back there!  I'm in love.


I wonder if he needs a housekeeper?  I'd be happy to live out here as payment! :) 


After the home tour, we headed to the "barn" for lunch.

 We had a salad with chicken followed by an absolutely delicious buttermilk pecan pie.  Both recipes were from his cookbook Seasonal Recipes from the Garden.


And after lunch, we roamed around the rest of the farm.


A view of the back of the house.





 Check out that little cut-out in the hedges so you can see the river while you dine outside.  Perfection.




And on to the "summer kitchen."




 I can't imagine anything more peaceful than a summer night bonfire out here.



And the 1,600-square-foot "next generation garden home" built in 150 days for (almost) $150,000.  Allen's brother and sister-in-law live there now.


Love these former cotton-wagons-turned-turkey-houses.



And the enormous and beautiful chicken house!




 And finally, we headed over to the rose garden.  Unfortunately, the roses weren't in bloom when we were there.


But the garden was still beautiful!



And how precious is this Parthenon-inspired chicken house for the Silkies?  


They were just getting Spring planting started, so Mom and I have already made plans to attend again in the Fall. :)  If you ever get a chance to visit, I highly recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment