Sunday, December 22, 2013

Stocking Stuffer Ideas: For the Guys

I realize I might be a little late on this...but if you still need ideas, a lot of these items can be found at brick-and-mortar stores (even though I am guilty of doing 95% of my holiday shopping online!).




The Outdoorsman

Waterproof Matches.  Great for camping, floating, hiking...
Military Can Opener.  I originally got one of these as a cheap option to keep with out camping stuff, but it would be a fantastic option for a survival kit or even a glove box.
Beef Jerky.  What guy doesn't love jerky?  James's favorite is Fire on the Mountain by Smoky Mountain Beef Jerky.
Camelbak Drops.  These are pellets that drop right into a Camelbak and don't need to be mixed.  James will be psyched to get these since carrying/mixing Gatorade on the go is always a pain.
Protein Bars. It's always fun to try out a few new ones. 
Fire Tabs.  Useful when trying to start campfires when it's damp.  Or grills, for that matter.
Survival Saw.  Again, great for camping and survival kits.
Zippo Hand Warmer.  Guaranteed to get a ton of use! I think next year I'm getting some for every man on my list. 
Waterproof Cards.  We always play cards when we go camping.  With these, we don't have to worry about humidity, storage, or drinks getting spilled. :)


The Homebrewer

Beer Flight Paddles.  I picked up several of these at Target this year for $2.50 each.  Whenever we have friends over, they always want to try everything in the kegerator.  This makes it a little more fun. :)
Calculator Watch.  James is getting one of these, too.  He is always setting timers throughout the brewing process and doing gravity calculations, etc.  I think he'll find this to be really useful for that (I would be surprised if he made it a daily piece).
Beer Line Cleaner.  Self-explanatory on this one.  Just something stocking-sized and useful.
Sticky Fermometer.  James got several of these in his stocking last year.  They're useful for the sides of fermenters.
Keg/Carboy Labels.  I think these are so cool!  Super customizable, too.
Bottle Caps.  Always in need of these (if he bottle conditions, that is).
Beer Smarts Game.  For a little something fun.
Hops Candy.  And a little something sweet!

The Foodie

Condiments and Spices.  James is getting a Stone Brewing Company mustard this year.
Fun Ramen.  We love scouring the net and Asian markets for imported ramen.  James got a case of this last year--it's delicious!
Paring Knife.  Or any other cooking knife....still in the package.  It usually makes more sense to build a collection one-by-one when you're purchasing expensive knives, that way you can pick specific items and you don't end up paying for things like a sharpening steel or kitchen shears (which you probably already have).  America's Test Kitchen recommends this Wusthof one.
Subscription to Cook's Illustrated.  Fantastic magazine if he doesn't already receive it.
All Clad Measuring Spoons.  Handsome and hard-working.  And the All Clad name makes them a little special. 
Spice Shaker.  We use these for custom blends (poultry seasoning, taco seasoning, etc.).
Curing Salt.  Nice to have on hand--and I admit that I love putting something hot pink into his stocking!
500 Things to Eat Before it's Too Late.  This one has actually been on my wish list for a while...
Vosges Chocolate Bar.  I always expect a treat in my stocking, and these have neat flavor combinations that your foodie will appreciate. :)


The Nerd

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.  Trekkies will truly appreciate this.  I've been incredibly tempted to get some for myself.
Pocket Ref Book. You can find one of these to fit any interest.  
Woot Shirt.  What can I say about this?  Maybe 90% of James's wardrobe?
Hands-Free Magnifier.  This one is from Restoration Hardware, but I've seen them plenty of other places.  Perfect for working on all the little parts in electronic items.
Fountain Pen.  James actually bought himself one of these after his friend got one.  I don't really understand it, but your geek might.
Yo-Yo.  I put one in James's stocking a few years ago and he entertained himself for hours.  That's worth a lot when I'm trying to get Christmas dinner ready!
Roll of Solder.  Is he "crafty"?  Chances are, he can probably use solder.
Chocolate Gaming Dice.  Even if he isn't into Dungeons and Dragons...who isn't into chocolate?

No comments:

Post a Comment