Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Opening Weekend

During the first weekend of May every year, Conway, Arkansas hosts Toad Suck Daze.  It includes concerts, a toad race, a beauty pageant, an antique car show, and a fair downtown.  We went on Friday night to try to avoid some of the crowds, but ended up going back on Saturday afternoon with my family, too.


I saw this sign for Fried Kool-Aid and quickly forgot about the funnel cake I had my eye on.  I have to admit, the green sugar on top was really cute, but honestly, I wish I had just gotten the funnel cake.


The "fried Kool-Aid" was basically just a little Kool-Aid powder mixed in with funnel cake batter, fried in little fitters, and stuck on a stick. The first bite was good, but the fritters weren't cooked all the way through and the flavor didn't do much for me. It was a fun treat to try, though! We ran into some old friends and were able to catch up a little, which was nice, too.



On Saturday, we went back with my parents, sister, and niece. It was unseasonably cold this weekend (we actually set cold temperature records!) so we bundled up. James got fried Oreos
(he LOVES those things and orders them whenever he has the chance).  



My mom, sister, and I shared fried cookie dough.  Seriously might have been the best thing I've ever eaten.  The dough was frozen before it was fried, so it was the perfect texture and temperature as soon as it was handed to us.  I could have eaten five I think.



Saturday morning was also the opening weekend of the Little Rock Farmer's Market. James and I went downtown with my parents to the River Market where it's held. We had never been before and were really pleasantly surprised by the selection. We picked up some purple hull peas, tomatoes, okra, and mint. My parents got some cherry jam (Dad's favorite) and the cutest little new potatoes. I can't wait for everything to come into season.








 After that, we had lunch at The Flying Saucer just down the street.


Their beer selection is awesome and the food is pretty good, too. We all got some variation of a bratwurst and I'm a huge fan of their German potato salad, so I got some of that, too.


I got the Atlas IPA from Marshall Brewing out of Tulsa.  Yum!


Sunday night, I cooked up some fried green tomatoes and purple hull peas to have with our Kentucky hot browns and mint juleps in honor of the Derby. :)  I would absolutely love to go one day.  Have you ever been?





No comments:

Post a Comment